The job search can be a fun and exciting process. At the same time, it has changed a lot in the last 10 years. Long gone are the days of handing a printed resume directly to the hiring manager. Today’s job seeker needs to navigate through applicant tracking systems, online profiles, social media, personal websites, and steep competition. In other words, to succeed in your job search, you need to take advantage of the latest job search technology.
Here are five tech tools designed to help you come out on top in today’s highly competitive job market:
If your resume seems to be going into a black hole when you apply for a job, it might not be getting by the company’s applicant tracking system (ATS). Fortunately, Jobscan can help. Use this tool to make sure you’re using the right keywords when putting together your resume. Job scan will analyze your resume based on the job description and help you optimize it for the job you want.
2. Community Groups
Find a community of like-minded people who are in the midst of a job search, too. Reach out to professional groups in your area of interest, attend industry-related networking events, or join the national association or local chapter for your industry. For general job search check out the following:
3. Social Media
- LinkedIn Youniversity – This section of LinkedIn allows you to search for people who attended your university by industry or company. It’s a great way to build your network and set up informational interviews with people who already hold jobs at your target companies.
- Twitter – Build your personal brand and then leverage the platform to connect with industry leaders and companies on your job search wish list. In the last month, for instance, I was able to connect directly with VCs and the authors of a new book titled, “Follow The Geeks” using Twitter.
5. Purple Squirrel
Purple Squirrel is currently in Beta, but once you’re in, you can request meetings with ambassadors at high profile companies like Tesla, Google, and Facebook. The platform helps users find unlisted jobs, earn employee referrals, and learn from insiders at some of today’s top companies. You can get the inside scoop at your target companies and be better prepared for the application and interview process.
Leveraging these technology tools will help you successfully navigate the modern job search. Use a combination of these tools to see the most success and help you land your dream job.
What technology tools do you use in your job search? Share with us in the comments below.
About the Author
Jenny Kay Pollock is a social media enthusiast and public relations specialist. Connect with Jenny on Twitter.
Latest posts by Guest Author (see all)
- This Is How Business Analytic Skills Can Get You Hired - September 27, 2016
- How To Make Your Job Application Stand Out - September 15, 2016
- 4 of the Most Important Interview Tips Backed by Science - September 1, 2016