Share this Post
For more than 60 years, Mental Health America has led Mental Health Month in May. They call upon organizations around the country to join them in spreading awareness about common mental health issues and educate people on how to manage them, which has a profound impact on employee well-being.
Employers are in a unique position to help erase the stigmas surrounding mental health, which still exist in workplaces today. Many people silently struggle with common mental health problems. In fact, depression, anxiety, and various other mental disorders are likely inside your company walls, and you probably don’t even realize it.
Mental health plays a big role in employee well-being because it not only damages employees’ physical health, but also it has a negative impact on the workplace.
The infographic below — compiled by LifeWorks, an EAP that takes a holistic approach to employee assistance and well-being — looks at how poor mental health hurts employee well-being and offers insights into how you can help.
Let’s take a look at some of the highlights:
- In 2015, 17.9% of all U.S. adults had at least one mental illness.
- People who experience depressed thoughts show a 12% reduction in memory.
- Depression costs U.S. workplaces $23 billion in absenteeism.
- 65% of employees say workplace stress negatively impacts them.
- 42% of adults said they are not doing enough or aren’t sure whether they’re doing enough to manage their stress.
Neglecting mental health and employee well-being is a common mistake as companies continue to overlook the benefits of building a happy, healthy workforce. When employees can manage their mental health, they’re more equipped to be productive.
Check out the full infographic below for expert tips on giving employees what they need to manage their mental health.
Stay on top of all things HR tech. Subscribe to our blog now!
Latest posts by Marikaye DeTemple (see all)
- The Great Outdoors: Come Recommended Style - June 16, 2017
- What Big Companies Know About Having A Chief Growth Officer That You Don’t This Is Why Everyone Is Talking About Chief Growth Officers - June 9, 2017
- Should You Be Paying Attention To Workplace Diversity and Inclusion? Why These Grim Realities About Diversity And Inclusion Shouldn’t Surprise You - May 26, 2017